Independent Contractor Agreement Template
Empower your business's growth with our Independent Contractor Agreement template. Perfect for when you're not quite ready to hire full-time staff but need assistance. This template covers all essential aspects — from detailed terms and conditions to a specific Statement of Work. It allows you to clearly define the tasks and expectations for your contractor, ensuring a smooth and professional working relationship. Ideal for businesses seeking flexibility with expert support!
Streamline your business expansion with our tailored Independent Contractor Agreement template. Designed specifically for burgeoning businesses, this template is your go-to solution when hiring full-time employees isn't an option yet, but expert assistance is needed. It provides a legal framework for engaging with independent contractors, who can offer a diverse range of specialiased skills to propel your business forward.
This template includes a clear Statement of Work, ensuring that both you and the contractor have a mutual understanding of the tasks and expectations involved. It's perfect for delineating responsibilities and maintaining professional boundaries in your working relationship.
It’s important to choose the right agreement for your needs: our Independent Contractor Agreement is ideal for those working ON your business in a non-client-facing role, focusing on internal tasks and projects. On the other hand, if you require someone to work IN your business, handling client-related work, our Subcontractor Agreement template would be more suitable. And for traditional employment relationships, consider our Employment Agreement. Make sure you're legally covered and clear in every professional engagement with the right template from our comprehensive collection.
Check out our special offer if you wish to purchase the Independent Contractor Agreement and Subcontractor Agreement templates!
See some examples below for clarity
Engaging an Independent Contractor:
In a bustling graphic design studio, when creative demands increase, administrative tasks can become a challenge. To streamline operations during these peak periods, the studio hires an independent contractor specialising in administrative services. This professional handles client communications, scheduling, and invoicing, providing much-needed organisational support. This arrangement, detailed in an Independent Contractor Agreement, ensures that while the studio's creative team focuses on design, the administrative backbone of the business remains robust and efficient, driving smooth operations without the need for a full-time employee.
Engaging a Subcontractor:
Imagine you own a graphic design studio and you’ve just landed a large project that includes extensive web design work. Your expertise is primarily in branding and print design, so you engage another graphic design firm that specialises in web design as a subcontractor. This firm will handle all the web design aspects of the project under your studio's name. The subcontractor works in tandem with your team, adhering to your project timelines and quality standards to maintain a cohesive service experience for your client.
About the Template
Created by lawyers and peer reviewed by other lawyers for quality assurance, this fill in the blanks template can be ready within 15 minutes or less, ready for you to copy and paste into your system and send to your client for them to sign.
Bonus Links: For extra guidance, check out our blog articles on...
Your template purchase includes:
- Fill in the blanks Template in Word format
- Template User Guide pdf – Handy hints on how to update your template
- Single user licence to edit, use and reuse the template as often as you need for your business
- BONUS: Access to the Legally Legit Lounge™ for Templates with “how to” video tutorials to walk you through your template*
- BONUS: Future template updates
- BONUS: Video Guide – This comprehensive video walkthrough is designed to guide you step-by-step through the template, providing clear instructions and assistance to help you successfully complete it with a few tips thrown in for good measure!
* Your purchase will give you free access to the support you need to complete your template with confidence, with video tutorials explaining key terms to ensure you understand your template.
Your access to the Legally Legit Lounge™ for Templates is subject to the template you have purchased. The resources in this portal are specific to your template purchase, and are not applicable to all scenarios. Any information provided in The Legally Legit Lounge™ for Templates is of a general nature, and does not constitute legal advice.
If you have additional questions, or require ongoing support, you can either book in a consult, contact us via email or join our membership program, The Legally Legit Lounge™ for less than the cost of a coffee a day.
The Independent Contractor Agreement template includes the following key features:
- Statement of Work: Clearly defines the tasks and expectations for the contractor, ensuring a mutual understanding of the work to be done.
- Payment Terms and Conditions: Outlines how and when the contractor will be paid, including any necessary details on expenses and invoicing.
- Intellectual Property Rights: Specifies the ownership of any work created by the contractor during the engagement.
- Confidentiality Clauses: Protects sensitive business and project information from being disclosed.
- Restraint Provisions: Includes clauses to prevent the contractor from soliciting your clients for a defined period after the contract's conclusion, thereby protecting your business interests and market position.
- Termination Provisions: Details the conditions under which either party can terminate the agreement, providing a clear exit strategy.
- Liability and Indemnification: Addresses issues of liability and responsibility, protecting your business from potential legal disputes.
- Dispute Resolution: Outlines the process for resolving any disagreements or conflicts that might arise during the course of the contract.
The Independent Contractor Agreement is suitable for:
- Creative business owners not ready to hire employees
- Digital Marketing Agencies
- Freelance Service Providers
- Small Business Owners in various fields
This template is versatile and can be customised to suit the specific requirements of various industries and professional services, ensuring clarity and legal protection for both the hiring party and the independent contractor.
This is NOT the right agreement if you are keen to hire someone as a full time or part time employee. Make sure you understand the difference between an independent contractor and an employee so you don’t land in hot water. This handy little tool from the ATO will help you decide whether your worker is an employee or a contractor for tax and super purposes. Thanks, ATO!
Lastly, if you’re providing the services, we recommend one of our Services Agreement templates, just select the one relevant to your industry.
Purchasing our fill in your blanks templates for you to customise and ensure they suit you and your business needs, utilising our free resources or having a chat with us as part of a consultation doesn’t create a lawyer-client relationship between you and Foundd Legal (sorry!). It also doesn’t constitute legal advice. Please consult with a lawyer for any questions.
We do offer templates for countries outside of Australia, you will see on the specific template page which country or countries the template is available for, just make your selection! Unfortunately at this time, we are only offering templates for the countries specified.
Our templates are however customisable for countries outside of Australia, and whilst they are a good base and potentially save you money getting something created from scratch, it would be prudent to have a lawyer in your country to review the template especially if you have any questions.
You get a single user licence and can re-use the templates you purchase as many times as you want for your own business needs! But keep in mind we’re a small business just like you, offering a service and we need more people like you to help us continue to grow - just like you! So from the bottom of our humble hearts, thank you for making a legit purchase and not sharing! Use of this Site and your purchase of any digital products or downloading of any free resources, are subject to our Terms and Conditions.
Have more questions? Read our FAQs
FAQS Specific to Template
What happens after I purchase the Independent Contractor Agreement?
Immediately after purchase, you'll receive a download link for the template, along with a PDF User Guide and Video Tutorials for quick and easy setup. You can start customising your contract right away!
Can this agreement be used for different types of contractors?
Absolutely. It's designed to be adaptable for a variety of contractors, from graphic designers to digital marketers.
Is this template suitable for long-term contractor engagements?
Yes, it's perfect for both short-term and long-term projects, providing legal clarity throughout the duration of the engagement.
How does this template protect my business's intellectual property?
It includes specific clauses that safeguard the intellectual property created during the contractor’s engagement.
What if I need to terminate the agreement early?
The agreement includes clear termination terms, outlining the process and any potential consequences for early termination.
Does this contract cover confidentiality agreements?
Yes, it contains confidentiality provisions to ensure business and project information remains secure.
Ready to go?
Sitting with a brilliant brand but unsure about where to go from here? We’re here to help you get your business off the ground when it comes to all things legal. Bonus! We won’t make it confusing! Legal can be fun. We swear. So book us now for your free consultation.LET'S CHAT